Skip to main content

Flavors of Reality

The other day, I had a "vigorous" discussion with a hard core physical scientist friend of mine about my general assertion that we "create our own reality". He suggested that there was something fundamentally inconsistent about this view and my role as a research scientist. It got me thinking about what I really meant.

What about the physical world? I accept (and generally rely upon) the fact that gravity exists independent of me. The chemical structure of a the minerals in the pebble sitting on the ground in front of me is known (not by me, but someone probably knows). A complex process like evolution occurs over times scales that make my lifetime, and therefore my perceptions and experiences, insignficant. All of these observations are "facts" that a large number of people (if not everyone) agree upon. Starting with a minimal set of real things, most people would agree that if something can be measured, its real. (Note that this doesn't imply the reverse-Can everything real be measured?) So, with respect to physical reality, either there is an absolute objective physical reality or my subjective construct of the external world is so consistent with everyone else's that I can't distinguish between its "subjectiveness" and fixed external reality. Apparently, I took the blue pill.

Returning to my argument with my physical chemist friend, the difficulty with internal subjective reality is not whether it is malleable, but the extent to which it really qualifies as "reality". For the concept to be very useful, the subjective internal reality has to have a degree of permanence. It has to have anchor points. Without this permanence, for example, personality would not exist. This suggests that the quality of permanence might be a better characteristic of reality than the ability to be measured. Maybe "more useful" would be better than "better" in the last sentence.

So I would suggest there are at least two different levels of reality; an external physical reality and a personal subjective reality. Although this sounds like an oxymoron, everyone's experience tells them how real their internal experience is. Our general relationship with this type of reality is reactive; it exists-we deal with it. We find that we are happy or sad, energetic or tired, productive or in a rut. We find we are defined by specific boundaries that are determined by our capabilites. As I pointed out in the previous paragraph, these characteristics generally persist and have a degree of permanence.


One difference between the external objective reality and our personal subjective reality is that, despite the preceived permanence of subjective reality, we have the potential to adjust and mold it by "creating our own reality". Thus, as I had mentioned at some point in the past, we can choose not to be limited by specific boundaries. We can choose to control our moods; in other words, to be happy (or not). At first, this may seem a sort of new-age mumbo-jumbo, but I think its a very legitamate phenomenon. In fact, I think the ability to manipulate this form of reality depends recognizing this. What I wonder about now is what the extent and limitations of our ability to affect and transform this reality.

As an interesting momentary sidetrack from this discussion is that there is a fuzzy hinterground between external physical reality and internal perceptual reality. Consider the leaves on the tree across the field from where I'm sitting. If I were to examine them with an optical spectrometer, I would find the reflected light to be around 510nm. Almost everyone (>93% males and 98.6% females in the U.S.) would agree the color is called "green". However, when two people look at that leaf that they call green, do they actually "see" the same thing? Is their experience the same? How would we ever know? We don't have the language to communicate the experience. It is an easy answer for me, because I'm one of the 7% of US males that might sometimes call the leaf red and sometimes green-I'm color-blind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Autumn Leaves so colorful?

Most people know, at least in broad brush strokes, HOW? autumn leaves turn out to be so colorful. I was wondering WHY? and Why so many colors? Just to clear up the HOW? part... At the most general level, when the weather turns colder, deciduous (leafy) trees stop making green pigment and the remaining underlying colors are revealed. More specifically, as the in the late summer, the veins in leafy trees start to constrict and the production of the compound responsible for photosynthesis, chlorophyll, is down regulated through the reduction of a single protein FtsH6. As the chlorophyll synthesis is reduced, the remaining chlorophyll is converted to a colorless set of compounds called NCCs (nonfluorescent chlorophyll catabolites) As the chlorophyll ebbs, three specific pigments are revealed: Carotonids are the yellow and orange colors in leaves. They are present all year long and concentrated in structures called plastids. Note that this is a class of compounds and lots of the yellow co

Truth

truth NOUN [mass noun]            Origin: Old English trīewth, trēowth ‘faithfulness, constancy’ 1 The quality or state of being true. ‘he had to accept the truth of her accusation’ 1.1 (also  the truth ) That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality. ‘tell me the truth’ ‘she found out the truth about him’ 1.2 [count noun] A fact or belief that is accepted as true. ‘the emergence of scientific truths’ ‘the fundamental truths about mankind’ It is no secret to anyone who knows me that I extremely critical of the Trump Regime.  However, if I am honest, I think that Donald Trump is a symptom a deeply divided society, not the cause of it.   I have a new soapbox... The fundamental, basic characteristic of this divide is our societies' tenuous relationship with the concept of TRUTH.  I'm not sure yet if this is a cause or symptom, but its deeply involved.  I decided to put some thought in to this and consider what we mean by TRUTH. The definitio

Logical Fallacies

I love Logical Fallacies. Well, to be clear,  I love the idea of Logical Fallacies, specifically the fact that over the ages people have analyzed and classified the many ways that individuals can intentionally, or unconsciously and unintentionally, make argue in illogical or misleading ways. For my benefit, I thought I would write a series of essays evaluating the different classes and specifics of Logical Fallacies. Since the time of the greeks and romans Logic, Rhetoric and Philosophy were formal subjects of study in every well rounded education. As we all recall from school, the first step to teach anything is break it down into little pieces and then group all the pieces together as you try and reconstruct the whole.  Speaking as a biochemist, I have to admit this doesn't always work that well, but following in the footsteps of the ancients, let's give that a try. Formal Logical Fallacies In the sub-discipline of Philosophy concerned with logic, in order to be conside