Skip to main content

The Limits of Blogging

What kind of things to I want to "Wonder and Muse" about? There's an envelope within which I want my blog to live.
The edges are-

  • Not too political-there's plenty of ranting and raving already. I'm pretty sure its been said before.
  • Not too personal-or maybe I mean interpersonal. I don't want to whine about whatever is bothering me at the moment about somebody at work or kids or teachers... These things tend to be emotionally very intense, so they are personal, but they are very transient so they lack any kind of real meaning.
  • Not too trite or petty. My pet peave is people who forward forwarded jokes by email (all the time).
  • Not too lofty or self-important. I want to express things I believe in and think are important. However, I want to express a sincere and authentic voice.
What's within those boundaries?

  • Personal. I want to write essays about things I believe in. Things I feel and questions I have.
  • Intelligent (at least to the extent of my intelligence). In a sense, a Blog offers you an opportunity to play a part. I suppose one could put on a complete artificial personna and pretend to think something. I think its much more intersting to realize that we each have so many different facets. Normally these are all blended to present an averaged version to our friends and family. This is an opportunity to enhance one face and play around with it. Maybe I should set up a separate blog for each personality...
  • Literary. Without being too high-falutin', blogging is the cyber version of the tradition of the essayist. Rather than babble and meander, I'd like to think of a topic and write an essay.

Comments

a2 said…
Very Intresting I am intriuged

Popular posts from this blog

My First Post

Hmm...How many people have written a journal or diary or blog called "My first entry", or something similar. Well, you have to start somewhere. The key implication of "first" is that it isn't the "last". However, having said that, when I set up this blog, I was imagining all the profound insights I would be able to share with the world. The deep thoughts that I would scribble into my laptop at 3am when I can really see the depths of truth. Flocks of websurfers would come to see if I'd stumbled on something new. An almost as attractive image is that no one would read any of this and it will just be a private place to get things off my chest. That in the writing with the possibility that someone could read it, I would have to be honest and fair and share the things I'm feeling. Now that I'm sitting here, I can't actually think of anything particularly deep to share. Well, after all it isn't 3am yet so not to worry!

Integrity

integrity Pronunciation: \in-ˈte-grə-tē\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire Date: 14th century Definitions: 1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility 2 : an unimpaired condition : soundness 3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness Some years ago, my company was undergoing a reorganization and there was an effort to indoctrinate everyone with a new way of "embracing change". We all underwent a series of mandatory EST-like re-education sessions and there was a new kind of language that started to be used in corporate meetings. Thankfully, that era passed and we are back to using intelligence and common sense. However, there is an interesting phenomenon of rejecting everything from those sessions as by definition, false. Of course, some of the ideas and conce...

Truth and...Orville (?)

When I climbed on this soapbox, I had intended to take a lofty, high minded intellectual view. Alas... Last night I was watching the TV Show "Orville" episode 7 "Majority Rule" and it spoke to exactly the ideas I've been thinking about, so I couldn't resist sharing it. Orville, a Seth MacFarlane project, is a humorous take on Star Trek.  Obviously, spoilers ahead... Majority Rule Imagine a society guided by an absolute democracy. The population can vote yes or no on everything. There are no fixed laws. Actually, the only laws guide how votes are organized. At the age of 18, all citizens are issued and required to wear a little gadget on their chest with an up or down button and a running counts of "likes" vs "dislikes".  At some level (500,000 dislikes ?) individuals start to lose rights - like service at a cafe. At a very high level of 10 million dislikes, "criminals by acclimation" are required to undergo lobotomy-like r...