Skip to main content

Abe-Where are you now?

I find these words as true now as they were more than a century ago:
“Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history.” That is what he said, That is what Abraham Lincoln said: “Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this Congress and this administration will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance or insignificance can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation. We – even we here – hold the power and bear the responsibility”…
Lincoln was a quiet man. Abe Lincoln was a quiet and melancholy man. But, when he spoke of Democracy, this is what he said:
He said: “As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of Democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.”
Abraham Lincoln, sixteenth President of these United States, is everlasting in the memory of his countrymen, for on the battleground at Gettysburg this is what he said:
He said: “that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion: that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; and that this nation under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

From Aaron Copeland’s “Lincoln Portrait”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity

integrity Pronunciation: \in-ˈte-grə-tē\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire Date: 14th century Definitions: 1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility 2 : an unimpaired condition : soundness 3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness Some years ago, my company was undergoing a reorganization and there was an effort to indoctrinate everyone with a new way of "embracing change". We all underwent a series of mandatory EST-like re-education sessions and there was a new kind of language that started to be used in corporate meetings. Thankfully, that era passed and we are back to using intelligence and common sense. However, there is an interesting phenomenon of rejecting everything from those sessions as by definition, false. Of course, some of the ideas and conce...

Truth and...Orville (?)

When I climbed on this soapbox, I had intended to take a lofty, high minded intellectual view. Alas... Last night I was watching the TV Show "Orville" episode 7 "Majority Rule" and it spoke to exactly the ideas I've been thinking about, so I couldn't resist sharing it. Orville, a Seth MacFarlane project, is a humorous take on Star Trek.  Obviously, spoilers ahead... Majority Rule Imagine a society guided by an absolute democracy. The population can vote yes or no on everything. There are no fixed laws. Actually, the only laws guide how votes are organized. At the age of 18, all citizens are issued and required to wear a little gadget on their chest with an up or down button and a running counts of "likes" vs "dislikes".  At some level (500,000 dislikes ?) individuals start to lose rights - like service at a cafe. At a very high level of 10 million dislikes, "criminals by acclimation" are required to undergo lobotomy-like r...

My First Post

Hmm...How many people have written a journal or diary or blog called "My first entry", or something similar. Well, you have to start somewhere. The key implication of "first" is that it isn't the "last". However, having said that, when I set up this blog, I was imagining all the profound insights I would be able to share with the world. The deep thoughts that I would scribble into my laptop at 3am when I can really see the depths of truth. Flocks of websurfers would come to see if I'd stumbled on something new. An almost as attractive image is that no one would read any of this and it will just be a private place to get things off my chest. That in the writing with the possibility that someone could read it, I would have to be honest and fair and share the things I'm feeling. Now that I'm sitting here, I can't actually think of anything particularly deep to share. Well, after all it isn't 3am yet so not to worry!